NewsLocal News


Manitowoc house fire reportedly caused by disposed fireworks

Firefighter hat and axe surrounded by fire
Posted at 11:17 AM, Jul 05, 2020
and last updated 2020-07-05 12:17:09-04

MANITOWOC (NBC 26) — Firefighters said they responded to a house fire caused by improperly discarded fireworks Saturday around 11:45 p.m.

The Manitowoc Fire Rescue Department (MFRD) said the fire was on the 900 block of North 22nd Street.

First responders reported flames and smoke visible from the garage that were extending into the home. All occupants were able to self-evacuate before the Department arrived.

MFRD crews extinguished the fire within 10 minutes. They found two cats to reunite with the family while overhaul and salvage operations were performed.

According to the Department, the fire originated outside the home but traveled along the sides and into the attic. They report smoke and water damage to the home and a vehicle parked outside of the garage sustained heat damage.

Firefighters said the fire seems to have been caused by discarded fireworks.

MFRD reminds everyone the importance of a working smoke detector and the hazard that fireworks can create.