NewsLocal News


Manitowoc County court appearance reveals details in Elijah Vue's disappearance

Elijah missing child.jpeg
Posted at 9:28 PM, Feb 23, 2024
and last updated 2024-02-27 00:09:58-05

MANITOWOC (NBC 26) — As the community awaits news regarding the disappearance of 3-year-old Elijah Vue, Katrina Baur, and Jesse Vang made their first appearance related to the case Friday afternoon.

Baur, the mother of young Elijah, and Vang, the person responsible for caring for the boy when he vanished, were handed down cash bonds and are both facing charges of child neglect.

In court, the Manitowoc District Attorney, Jacalyn LaBre cited sealed court documents stating that Baur intentionally sent her child to stay with Vang for disciplinary measures.

“She intentionally sent that child for disciplinary reasons. For more than a week to the residence. She was aware of the tactics used and the lack of care provided. This was intentional by her and on at least two occasions during interviews. She has provided false information on her whereabouts during the past week," said LaBre.

The D.A. also said Baur had provided false information regarding her whereabouts during the investigation.

The judge, taking into account the sealed probable cause statement regarding Vang's involvement, set his cash bond at $20,000.

The judge also noted that Vang was responsible for Elijah at the time of his disappearance and is responsible for any neglect or lack of care.

Baur's cash bond was set at $15,000. Both defendants are expected to face charges of child neglect, with their next court appearance scheduled for Monday.

On Friday evening, Two Rivers Police provided an update on the search, saying Elijah still has not been found and that authorities are extending the search to neighboring communities.

NBC 26 joined a search crew Friday in Manitowoc to continue looking for Elijah.

"We were searching like wells, and drains, and the side of the road," Two Rivers resident Veronica Blackmon said.

Blackmon said she's been looking every day since Tuesday. She said the search parties have dwindled in the following days, but she expects it to pick back up over the weekend.

"It was like 100-something people out the first night," Blackmon said. The second night, it went down a little bit. But I believe it's because people have to work, and stuff like that, they wasn’t able to come out like they’re supposed to, or they want to."