Tech Talk: Devices to help keep your New Year's Resolutions
7:12 PM, Jan 13, 2017
GREEN BAY -
When it comes to New Year’s resolutions, studies show here are the big three:
• Weight loss
• Finances (spending less, saving more)
• Self-improvement (exercise, smoking cessation)
But of course, the challenge is sticking to our New Year resolutions. Studies show only eight percent of people are successful in achieving their resolution.
Fortunately, there are mobile apps available to help you stick with your goals.
The free app tracks 600 different types of fitness activities, including running, ballroom dancing and walking the dog. The app also helps you map out jogging routes, record activity, log your food intake and offers a social component so you can get extra encouragement from friends, cheer on your buddies or start a friendly competition.
The MapMyFitness app is available for iOS, Android and BlackBerry.
If you’re looking to get your finances in order this year, you may want to consider this free money manager app available on iOS, Android and Windows 8 devices. The app pulls all your financial information from difference accounts into one place so you can get the entire picture. It tracks budgets, automatically categorizes your transactions and suggests ways to help you save. It also can send you automatic alerts, like bill reminders.
No matter what you’re pledging to accomplish in 2017, the free Coach me app available on iOS and Android will probably help you reach your goal. This simple app tracks how often you complete tasks that you assign yourself and rewards you with virtual check marks for being consistent. Lift gives you steps and milestones to make progress more manageable and provides coaching, progress tracking and optional reminders to help you stay focused and stay on track.
* With call, text, and calendar alerts, you can see smart notifications on screen
* Can measure steps, distance, calories burned
* Also tells you how long you’ve been stationary
* Amazon Echo is a hands-free speaker you control with your voice.
* Echo connects to the Alexa Voice Service to play music, provide information, news, sports scores, weather, and more—instantly. All you have to do is ask.
* Echo has seven microphones and beam forming technology so it can hear you from across the room—even while music is playing.
* Echo is also an expertly tuned speaker that can fill any room with 360° immersive sound. When you want to use Echo, just say the wake word "Alexa" and Echo responds instantly.
* Plays all your music from Amazon Music, Spotify, Pandora, iHeartRadio, TuneIn, and more using just your voice
* Answers questions, reads audiobooks and the news, reports traffic and weather, gives info on local businesses, provides sports scores and schedules, and more using the Alexa Voice Service
* Controls lights, switches, and thermostats with compatible WeMo, Philips Hue, Samsung SmartThings, Wink, Insteon, Nest, and ecobee smart home devices
UE Roll 2
* Perfect for a pool workout.
* Waterproof and provides 360 surround sound.
* Don’t let its size fool you, it has a 65-foot wireless range, double that of a typical speaker.
* Does not float on its own, but will with life preserver that comes with all new models.
* Price: $99
* Never lose anything again!
* Tile Slim is as thin as two credit cards—perfect for wallets, purses, laptops and anything with a slim profile.
* Uses Bluetooth technology to find your stuff!
* Plus, customize your ring with four preset tunes.
* Attach a Tile to an item and locate it by sound when it’s close but out of sight.
* Price: $30
* If you still can’t find your Tiled item, use the Tile app to see its last known location on a map, or leverage the Tile community to find it for you.