UPDATE: Children back home after CO poisoning in Green Bay

UPDATE: The older brother of the two children hospitalized said his little brother and sister are back home from the hospital. 
 
They returned home around 10 p.m. Wednesday. 
 
Josh Vue said everyone is doing much better and on the road to recovery. 
 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
The older brother of the two children hospitalized said they should be discharged from the hospital Wednesday night.
 
Josh Vue was also treated for carbon monoxide poisoning, but said it didn't affect him as much as his siblings because of his age.
 
"I felt a little bit of pressure filling in my head," he said. "I felt like my hearing was a little bit off, I felt like I was in space for a little bit."
 
Vue said his parents planned to buy new carbon monoxide detectors after the one in their home did not work and alert the family of the problem in their home. The Green Bay Metro Fire Department says the detector didn't work because it was old and needed to be replaced.
 
The GBMFD is reminding people to check their carbon monoxide detectors monthly and replace them when needed. 
 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
GREEN BAY, Wis-- Three people are being treated for carbon monoxide poisoning after a report of a sick child.
 
NBC26 spoke with family members inside the home, who say that two children, ages 9 and 6 are still in the hospital Wednesday morning, but are doing better. 
 
Crews with the Green Bay Metro Fire Department were first called to a home in the 2400 block of Deer Trail just before 2:00 a.m. on Wednesday.
 
When crews entered the home a carbon monoxide monitor attached to their EMS gear bag began to go off. High levels of carbon monoxide, in excess of 1000 ppm were found in the home.
 
A second child in the home was also found to be unconscious. The home was evacuated and those affected were taken to the hospital for treatment.
 
In all three people were treated for elevated levels of carbon monoxide, two of which were transferred to an Appleton hospital for additional treatment in a hyperbaric chamber.
 
 The home was ventilated and the investigation into the cause of the elevated levels of carbon monoxide is under investigation. 
 
A carbon monoxide alarm in the home was found to inoperable and well past its expiration date. 
 
The Green Bay Metro Fire Department would like to remind everyone to test their CO and smoke alarms regularly, and they recommend having a CO monitor on each level of your home. 
Print this article Back to Top