House fire kills five cats, rabbit

Posted at 11:56 AM, Mar 20, 2016
and last updated 2016-03-21 09:42:30-04

The Oshkosh Fire Department was called to a duplex fire around 10:30 this morning on Jackson Street. 

Fire crews say they could see heavy smoke and flames but were able to get the fire knocked down in about 10 minutes and then completely extinguished within an hour.

One person was treated for smoke inhalation but there were no other injuries reported. Several pets did die in the fire including five cats and a rabbit.

The upstairs apartment of the duplex has been deemed "uninhabitable" due to the extensive fire, smoke and water damage.

Six people are now displaced. The American Red Cross is assisting them.

Officials are reporting that the fire was started when a 9-year-old child was playing with a lighter. It was also reported that residents tried to put the fire out themselves instead of calling the fire department right away.