Suspect in Neenah standoff Identified

Posted at 5:50 PM, Dec 07, 2015
and last updated 2015-12-07 18:50:31-05

UPDATE: The man who started a standoff at a motorcycle store in downtown Neenah has been identified. 45-year-old Brian Flatoff has been booked in Winnebago County Jail facing a potential charge of first degree recklessly endangering safety and more could come. 

According to online court records obtained by NBC26 Flatoff had had run ins with police in the past. He was scheduled to appear in Outagamie County court for a fifth or sixth OWI charge on Tuesday. 

As of Monday morning police were still guarding the entrances to the Eagle Nation Motorcycle Shop but most of the other businesses on that block were reopened.  


UPDATE: The District Attorney's Office confirmed with NBC26 the suspect that was arrested after a police standoff in Neenah is Brian Flatoff. 

Flatoff is in the Winnebago County Jail and is being held on a First Degree Reckless Endangerment charge. 

Flatoff was arrested at the Eagle Nations cycle on Saturday after a five hour long standoff.


Neenah Police Chief Kevin Wilkinson provided the following information at a press briefing this evening at 7 PM:

Just before 9 AM, the Neenah Police Department was dispatched to the Eagle Nation Cycle Shop at 206 Main Street after reports that someone was causing a "disturbance." Initial reports also included information saying that the man had a firearm and had fired several shots.

Police officers from the Neenah Police Department, Winnebago County Sheriff's Office, Menasha Police Department, Town of Menasha Police Department, Appleton Police Department, Fond du Lac Police Department, Wisconsin State Patrol, and Neenah -Menasha Fire Rescue responded to the scene.

Chief Wilkinson estimated over 70 police officers were at the scene.

By 9:22 AM police say the scene was an active hostage situation and the hostages lives were in danger. Chief Wilkinson estimated at least 3 but no more than 10 people were taken hostage. When police attempted to get into the building to rescue the hostages they were met with gunfire.

One officer from the Neenah Police Department was shot by someone inside the business. The shot was fired at his head but the officer was wearing a ballistic helmet which prevented a potentially fatal injury. That officer was taken to the hospital, treated and released. The officer has not been identified.

Shortly after, a man came out of the business with a firearm. He did not comply with officer's instructions to drop the weapon and was shot at by police. He was taken to the hospital for his injuries, but died as a result of them.

His name has not been released. This man was not the same person who created the initial disturbance.

Phone contact was soon established with the subject holding hostages. Police say they negotiated with him over the phone for hours. During that time, the hostages were released unharmed.

Around 1 PM, the initial instigator agreed to exit the business and surrender. He was taken into custody.

The officer-involved shooting will remain under investigation by the DOJ, and Division of Criminal Investigation.

Chief Wilkinson thanked the community and business owners for their cooperation and is saddened by the loss of life.

No further information is expected to be released.


At least two people have been taken to the hospital today, one of them a police officer, after a shooting and stand-off situation with police at Eagle Nation Cycles in Neenah.

First reports of the incident began around 9 AM today when multiple shots were fired around the 200 block of Main Street. Police began posting to social media for people in the area to seek shelter, avoid windows and stay in basements.

One suspect was taken into custody. A short police briefing was given by Neenah Police Chief Kevin Wilkinson at 1:30 PM. He said that the area was secure and there is no threat to the public. Chief Wilkinson assured media that the police officer injured will be ok.


UPDATE: Neenah Police Chief Kevin Wilkinson just addressed the media saying things are still unfolding but the scene has been made secure. He says the public is in no danger. Chief Wilkinson said details at this time are very limited but he is working to give more information soon.


Police have taken one person into custody.


1:10 pm: Neenah police plan a news conference at 1:30 PM. Chief says situation is still active. 


12:40 PM: Neenah police Facebook post: "We want to extend our perimeter. We ask anyone in the area to move back at least 1/4 mile for your safety." 

12:03 pm: Police have evacuated a number of homes and businesses in the area. They continue to emphasize the importance of staying away from this area.

The Neenah Police Department is reporting that they are monitoring a "high-risk" situation in the 200 block area of Main and Doty Streets.

Police say shots have been fired and anyone living in the area should stay away from windows, or go to a basement if possible. There are reports that at least one person and possibly one police officer has been shot.

Police say there is a suspect and an active hostage situation at Eagle Nation Cycles.

Several law enforcement agencies have responded including the SWAT Team.

NBC26 is working to keep this story up to date.