NewsLocal News

Actions

Overfilled cigarette can causes Kaukauna apartment fire

One-fourth of US cancer deaths linked with 1 thing: smoking
Posted at 7:07 AM, Jun 10, 2021
and last updated 2021-06-10 08:08:25-04

KAUKAUNA, WIS. (NBC 26) — Fire crews say a metal coffee can overfilled with used cigarettes is the reason behind an apartment fire Wednesday morning.

It happened at 228 W. 12th Street on the second story balcony around 3:30 a.m.

The Kaukauna Fire Department said a neighbor of the apartment complex saw flames on his way home to his apartment. Crews were able to contain the fire to the balcony. They did have to use a bullet saw to remove two floor joists of the balcony where the fire was.

No one was hurt and there is $500 worth of damage. The rest of the apartment was fine.

The department is advising people to be careful when getting rid of smoking materials and make sure they're properly extinguished.