NewsLocal News


Kaukauna fire caused by space heater in bathroom

Posted at 6:36 PM, Jan 13, 2022
and last updated 2022-01-13 19:36:15-05

KAUKAUNA (NBC 26) — The Kaukauna Fire Department responded at 1:33 a.m. to a fire at 210 Whitney Street where a single-family residential building was found to have smoke coming from the side of the home and bathroom window. Firefighters entered the home and extinguished the fire in the bathroom.

The home occupant reported that he awoke from sleep to find heavy smoke and went to the adjourning house to call 911. The occupant was given a fire extinguisher by a neighbor and was able to extinguish some of the fire. The bathroom and adjourning areas of the home suffered major heat and smoke damage. Primary investigations revealed the cause of the fire to be a space heater in the bathroom.

Although a single smoke detector was working effectively in the home, the occupant did not wake up due to the smoke detector. The public is reminded to place smoke detectors between each sleeping area and the rest of the house. Proper use of space heaters is also advised; do not place anything flammable within range of the heater.