BROWN CO., Wis. (NBC 26) — The Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) Northeast Region announced I-43 construction in Brown County will resume Monday, March 1.
WisDOT said this construction is a continuation from 2020 work to complete the maintenance project on a 10.2 mile stretch of highway between WIS 172 and Atkinson Drive in Brown County.
According to WisDOT, the $6.1 million two-year project is scheduled to finish in October 2021. This project will involve ramp, bridge and shoulder work, creating significant traffic impacts drivers should account for.
WisDOT reminds motorists that on average 2,766 work zone crashes happen each year. Over the past five years, Wisconsin work zones saw 13,000 crashes, a total of 5,200 injuries, and 50 deaths. Motorists should slow down, be patient, and pay attention to their surroundings in all work zones to prevent these numbers from rising.
Starting Monday, north and southbound I-43 will be reduced to a single lane for bridge overlays and pavement markings. Additionally, the stretch between Mason St. to Danz Ave. will be reduced to a single lane.
Various ramps will also be closed from March 1 until May 27, including:
- Northbound I-43 to northbound WIS 57 ramp
- DETOUR: Northbound traffic should continue north and exit at Webster Ave. Take Webster Ave. west to southbound I-43 and exit to the off-ramp east onto northbound WIS 54/57
- Southbound WIS 54/57 ramp to southbound I-43
- DETOUR: Southbound traffic should take the northbound I-43 ramp and continue on I-43 to the off-ramp for Webster Ave. Take Webster Avenue west to southbound I-43.
- Northbound WIS 57 to northbound I-43 ramp
- DETOUR: Northbound traffic should continue northbound on WIS 54/57, turn north onto Nicolet Drive, then turn west onto WIS 54/57 southbound. Continue to I-43 on-ramp.
CLICK HERE for a full overview on project improvements and construction work schedule.