TOWN OF LEDGEVIEW - The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources and Brown County Public Health officials have issued a health warning after a hazardous chemical was found to be leaking in a local creek.
The alert is related to a chemical discharge, known as Silage Leachate, discovered in the Town of Ledgeview.
Silage Leachate is the liquid produced in feed storage facilities.
The discharge is coming from a feed storage area at Ledgeview Farms and flowing into Bower Creek. DNR officials are working with the property owner to control the leak.
Silage leachate can contain bacteria such as E.Coli and toxins that can make people and animals sick. Brown County Pubilc Health officials are asking residents, especially children, and pets in the area to avoid coming into contact with the leachate.
According to Michigan State University Extension, one gallon of silage leachate can lower oxygen levels in river water that can be fatal to fish.
Another side effect of leachate is it can be hazardous to groundwater. MSU Extention's report says wells located within 150 feed to silage storage should be routinely checked for contamination such as nitrates and e.coli.
Stay with NBC26 at 5 & 6 and NBC26.com for the latest updates.