NewsLocal News


Firefighter suffers minor burns in De Pere fire

fire generic
Posted at 10:05 PM, Apr 08, 2022
and last updated 2022-04-08 23:05:50-04

DE PERE (NBC 26) — A firefighter suffered minor burns in a Friday night fire caused by a wood-burning heating unit in De Pere, according to a news release.

Crews got the call shortly before 7 p.m. to the 700 block of South Sixth Street, and found a detached garage on fire, with the fire extending to the outside of a home.

Crews prevented the fire from getting into the house.

The detached garage was a total loss, crews reported. A witness reported that the wood-burning unit inside the garage caused the fire, the news release said.

The firefighter who suffered burns was treated on the scene and released, according to the De Pere Fire Rescue Department.

No one else was hurt. Occupants of the home were outside when fire crews arrived.

The estimated damage to the garage, residence, and vehicle is approximately $50,000.