NewsLocal News


Fire contained to space heater in Appleton home

Posted at 4:16 PM, Jan 10, 2022
and last updated 2022-01-10 18:34:18-05

APPLETON (NBC 26) — At about 6 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 9, the Appleton Fire Department was dispatched to Green Bay Road for a space heater that had been on fire in a residential home. Smoke was reported inside the residence.

The first arriving fire department unit confirmed a single family home was evacuated. The residents believed they had the fire extinguished, having used their fire extinguisher.

Fire crews encountered smoke as they entered the second floor. Crews confirmed the fire was out and there was no extension. Fire crews ventilated the smoke and extinguisher residue. The fire did cause damage to the space heater and smoke damage to a portion of the second floor.

There were no injuries. There was no estimate for the damage, at the time of this release, according to the fire department. The cause of the fire is related to a space heater but exact cause is under investigation.

There were no activated smoke alarms upon fire department arrival. The occupants did have a functioning fire extinguisher which they utilized, after calling 911, to extinguish the fire.

The Appleton Fire Department reminds residents to:
▪ Only use maintained space heaters and to follow proper safety guidance for the use of space heaters.
▪ Maintain properly operating smoke alarms on each level of their residence.
▪ Have a properly maintained fire extinguisher near an exit. Learn how and when to utilize a fire extinguisher.

For more information on space heater safety and the use of fire extinguishers, visit the NFPA website: