Lighting is believed to be the cause of a house fire in the Town of Ellington.
Crews responded to a home on Valley View Road around 1:30 Thursday morning.
BREAKING: Two people are displaced after a house fire in the Town of Ellington. The chief says a lightning strike started the fire. pic.twitter.com/mxmsuvt8GL
— Brooke Hafs (@BrookeHafs) April 20, 2017
Ellington's fire chief tells NBC26 that when they arrived on scene, flames were shooting from the roof.
Lightning hit a gas meter and crews dealt with the struggle of digging up gas lines to fight the fire safely.
"Everybody was out when we got here. We did do a quick search of the building, the house when we got here, but everybody was accounted for, and everybody's safe," said Chief Jim Bentle.
Half of the home suffered severe smoke and fire damage, the other half has smoke and heat damage.
Damage is estimated at around $100,000.
The Red Cross is helping the family.