News

Actions

Fire chaplain credited with spotting house fire, five people rescued

Posted: 10:58 AM, Dec 11, 2018
Updated: 2018-12-11 19:36:31Z
Fire chaplain credited with spotting house fire, five people rescued

A fire chaplain happened to be in the right place at the right time when firefighters say the he spotted a house fire and called 911. 

The fire broke out Tuesday morning on Marvelle Lane in Ashwaubenon.

Ashwaubenon Public Safety gives credit to Andrew Collins, a Chaplain for the Green Bay Metro Fire Department for recognizing and calling 911 to report the fire.

Captain Jody Crocker also says a woman, Linda Noel, was passing by with a 3 year old in the car when she noticed smoke coming from the home.  She also dialed 911 and stayed until officers arrived.

Ashwaubenon Public Safety says the first responding officer tried to rescue people inside but was turned back dur to heavy smoke.

Fire crews later arrived and entered the home tp rescue five people and two dogs. Some of those were taken out of a basement window.

Everyone rescued was treated by EMS on the scene and none were taken to the hospital. 

Firefighters say the house is close to a total loss. The Red Cross has responded to assist the family. The fire remains under investigation by the Brown County Fire Investigation Task Force.