Careless use of smoking materials starts Bellevue house fire

Working fire detector alerts homeowner to fire
Posted: 3:10 AM, Feb 15, 2018
Updated: 2018-02-15 09:11:05Z

One person is without a home after a fire in Bellevue. 

The call came in shortly after 11 p.m. Wednesday on the 2900 block of Tordeur Street. 

Fire officials said flames and smoke were showing on the outside of the house. 

Brown County Sheriff's deputies knocked a majority of the fire down with extinguishers before fire crews arrived. 

"The homeowner was able to escape," said Joe Bertler, the Battalion Chief with the Village of Bellevue Fire & Rescue. "He noticed the fire from a working fire detector that he had and called 911."

Damage estimates are coming in at $25,000. 

Fire officials said the careless use of smoking materials started the blaze. 

No one was injured.