Believe it or not, the WIAA Football State Championship games are already coming up this week.
The finals will be held Thursday and Friday, November 16-17, at Camp Randall Stadium on the campus of UW-Madison.
On Thursday, November 16, the schedule is as follows:
- Div. 7 - Bangor (13-0) vs. Black Hawk (13-0) - 10 a.m.
- Div. 6 - Iola-Scandinavia (11-2) vs. St. Mary's Springs (13-0) 1 p.m.
- Div. 5 - Amherst (12-1) vs. Lake Country Lutheran (13-0) - 4 p.m.
- Div. 4 - St. Croix Central (12-1) vs. Lodi (13-0) - 7 p.m.
The championship games continue Friday, November 17, with:
- Div. 3 - Rice Lake (10-2) vs. New Berlin Eisenhower (13-0) - 10 a.m.
- Div. 2 - Waunakee (13-0) vs. Brookfield Central (13-0) - 1 p.m.
- Div. 1 - Kimberly (13-0) vs. Sun Prairie (13-0) - 4 p.m.
In Division 1, Kimberly is looking to continue its 69-game unbeaten streak and take home its fifth straight state championship. The Papermakers have not lost since 2012, beating Appleton North Friday to advance. They face Sun Prairie, who is averaging 39 points a game, but coming off a narrow 26-21 win over Muskego in the semifinal.
In Division 6, St. Mary's Springs out of Fond du Lac is making its seventh state final appearance in the last nine seasons. The Ledgers have won six state titles. They will go head-to-head with Iola-Scandinavia, who has never won a state title despite three championship game appearances. The Thunderbirds beat defending state champion Regis in the semifinal 27-26.