APPLETON (NBC 26) -- Appleton Fire Department responded to a dryer fire at the Outagamie County Administration building around 8 p.m. Saturday.
According to the Department, the basement and first floors were filled with smoke. They saw the smoke was traveling through the rest of the building through the elevator shaft.
Crews found the fire in the basement, localized to the dryer and its contents. They used water extinguishers to put out the cleaning rags that were burning in the dryer.
Appleton Fire Department said clearing the smoke from the building was a challenge due to the construction of the building and location of the fire. With help from the building's maintenance personnel they were able to clear out the smoke with ventilation fans as well as the HVAC and exhaust systems in the building.
The Outagamie County Administration building houses the Outagamie County Communications Center and Outagamie County Jail along with a several administrative offices. During the time of the fire, the communications center and jail remained occupied and continued their operations.
The Appleton Fire Department extends their thanks to the Sheriff's Department staff who had respiratory protection and was able to knock down the initial fire. They say this staff member was able to prevent further damage.
The damage is estimated at $4,500 but, according to the Fire Department, is contained to the dryer and its contents.