Sheboygan Fire Department: Fire caused by child playing with matches or lighter

SHEBOYGAN, Wis. - A fire that sent one person to the hospital Tuesday was caused by a child playing with matches or a lighter, the Sheboygan Fire Department confirmed.

The fire happened just before 5:30 p.m. on the 700 block of North 4th Street.

When crews arrived, they saw smoke and flames coming from the second floor. The fire then spread to the attic area.

The fire was put out within 20 minutes.

Two people were home at the time of the fire, Battalion Chief Dean Klein said. One injured person was taken to HSHS St. Nicholas Hospital after escaping the fire by jumping out a second story window.

The person's condition is unknown.

Damage to the home is estimated at $120,000 dollars.

 

 
Print this article Back to Top