Fire at Stubby's Bar in Markesan leaves 5 displaced

MARKESAN - Five people were displaced from their homes and one person was hurt after an early morning fire in Markesan on Tuesday.

One resident returned to his apartment and said he was too devastated to speak on camera Tuesday afternoon.  The cause of the fire, which also left Sheer Image Salon damaged and Stubby's Bar destroyed, is still being investigated.  

Markesan police said they received a call from Stubby's Bar owner, reporting a fire at his bar, at about 2:13 a.m. 

"The owner emerged from the building and was a little frantic and emotional as were expected," said City of Markesan Police Officer Phil Watry.  "There were visible flames coming from the building in the alley way.  He had tried to put the fire out with a fire extinguisher. Those attempts were not valid."

Grand River Fire District and about 15 other local agencies responded.  Officer Watry said they fought the fire until about 8:00a.m.  They were not sure how the fire started.

"The owner wasn't even really sure what had happened," said Watry. "It came from the kitchen area that he has in the back.  He makes pizzas and sandwiches and things like that.  Maybe something happened there, but at this time we're not 100 percent sure."

Markesan Police Department officials said Stubby's Bar suffered severe structural damage and the building next door where Sheer Image Salon is located, has fire and water damage. Two other buildings also received smoke damage.

Officer Watry said the insurance adjusters only spoke with business owners and the fire is still being investigated.  Red Cross is helping those people displaced by the fire.

Print this article Back to Top