Crunch Time Fast Approaching
Here's an interesting thought. Two weeks from tomorrow the Packers will be playing their "second" regular season game against the Chicago Bears. The time when the clock is ticking and they're keeping score is fast approaching. With that renewed sense of urgency, here's 5 questions the Packers are hoping to get answered in their final preseason game against Kansas City.
1. Who's on the Corner? With Davon House still out, Jarrett Bush, Casey Hayward and Sam Shields are fighting for the starting right cornerback position. Based on who's done what to date, it's between Bush and Hayward. Bush has been lining up #1 the past two weeks.
2. Who's the Nickel and Dime Safety? We're talking the one who enters the game when Charles Woodson moves up to play the slot in sub packages, something that happens the majority of the time. Jerron McMillian gets the first snaps this week, but in the past, both M.D. Jennings and Anthony Levine have had that role. The competition has been tight but McMillian clearly has the edge when it comes to the rough stuff.
3. Outside of Evan Dietrich-Smith, is there a player worth keeping among the backup offensive linemen? Of the young guys, guard Greg Van Roten and G-T Don Barclay have shown the most promise. Veteran Reggie Wells can play guard or tackle, but is better suited to play inside.
4. Which, if any, of the young receivers deserves a spot on the final 53. Tori Gurley and Diondre Borel have some history with the Packers but undrafted free agent Jarrett Boykin is the player who's had the most consistent preseason.
5. Is Graham Harrell the answer at backup quarterback? If you've been watching the previous three preseason games, no further explanation is necessary.
We'll wrap up our preseason blogs with a Game 4 review on Friday. Thanks for joining us.